Thursday, March 31, 2005

"Supreme" Courts

I have now lived and worked here in Colorado for 25 years. Over that time, we have had various death penalty statutes, but we have never really had a death penalty. Over this time we have had a parade of killers condemned only to have their sentences altered by the courts. The one killer that pleaded to have his sentence carried out ultimately changed his mind, continued his appeals and died of natural causes.

This week saw the continuation of that practice by our State Courts. Robert Harlan, convicted kidnapper, rapist and killer saw his death penalty overturned. From all accounts, the State Supreme Court would like to set very specific rules on how jurors exercise their moral judgment in these types of cases. Jurors can know the bible and apply it to their own judgment. They just cannot bring it in to the deliberation room and assure themselves or others of their own knowledge.

Many want to believe that this is a conservative state, and in many ways that may be true. Unfortunately, for many years the people of this state chose to balance a conservative legislature with more liberal Govenors. Now the legacy of those Govenors lives on in our courts. Whether it is at the state or federal levels we need to recognize that the executive and legislative branches of government play specific roles. If we simply choose to use one to thwart the other, we find ourselves in the position we have been in for more than a quarter century here in Colorado. We find ourselves with a judiciary that simply refuses to enforce the will of the people and takes away the people's voice.

14 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

So many blogs and only 10 numbers to rate them. I'll have to give you a 9 because you have a quailty topic.

Free Access To More Information Aboutdeaf education

5:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, just came across your modular home loans blog. What a great site. I also have a site relating to the modular home loans niche that I think your readers would be interested in. Would love you to stop by for your feedback

7:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's tough finding good american finance company information like this. Have a look here american finance company for some more good stuff if you get a chance.

11:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just came across your blog about Self-Talk to complete my work on Self-Talk and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. Thanks!

10:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey swp, I just came across your blog about Stress-Management as I was looking for more information on Stress-Management and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. Keep up the great work!

9:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi swp. Been looking around for some information to help me on my old bills. A friend told me your blog on this post might be of some help. Need to find out more information concerning http://www.livechathelp.com. This blog does not seem to be the best of places...but no harm done in trying. Great blog though! I'll have to check you all out later. Take care!

7:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo, you have a Terrific blog here! Lots of content means more readers, more readers means more interaction!
I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
I have a
venice computer repair site/blog. It pretty much covers venice computer repair Problems with your Windows Xp Computing !
Come take a Look when you get a chance. :-)

2:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi swp. Been looking around for some information to help me on my hospital debt. A friend told me your blog on this post might be of some help. Need to find out more information concerning http://www.livechathelp.com. This blog does not seem to be the best of places...but no harm done in trying. Great blog though! I'll have to check you all out later. Take care!

4:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just came across your blog about Motivation to complete my work on the subject. Thanks for your thoughts!

7:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just came across your blog about Personal Achievement to complete my work on the subject. Thanks for your thoughts!

11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A good resource for the broker fraud investment stock for getting results. Or just buy the domain name if you're interested in the topic of broker fraud investment stock .

3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You aren't going to believe this website! If you really like teens then this is even bigger than you can imagine!

Twins Twins Twins! Free sample pic here at my blog:
Milton Twins !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And feel free to post at my blog too.

12:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just came across your blog about Holistic Well Being to complete my work on the subject. Thanks for your thoughts!

12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey swp

I ran acrossed your blog and this post caught my eye. I thought I would stop and take a look.

Later,

125 home equity loan help

1:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home