Monday, May 30, 2005

Wireless Internet Solution

As I chronicled already, I have added an iPAQ Pocket PC to my collection of gadgets. Besides adding one more tool for controlling all of my other gadgets it gives me one more portal into the internet and this blog. Now I can start a post while out on lunch and finish it later. This is at least what I am telling myself, but since I really haven't taken a lunch break in the last two weeks it a little hard to tell if this was a good plan.

Since there is no real reason to have a wireless device without a wireless connection point, I went out recently and purchased a wireless router (funny how one gadget begets the purchase of another). As I started making the rounds of various retail establishments, I quickly found that everyone carries the Belkin Wireless G Router. After visiting several, like CompUSA and Circuit City, I also found that none of these establishments are very innovative in their pricing. They have all decided that the going price for one of these gizmos is $69.95. So I decided a trip across the street to visit the Evil Empire (Walmart). Would be worth my time. Sure enough, there was the same product for $39.95. The best part of the deal (after saving over 40% on the price) was the check out experience. No arguing with the sales clerk over purchasing an extended warranty for thirty bucks.

Now I can multi-task in the evening watching one of my many old World War II movies on DVD while I scribble ideas for a post in Word. As for the router, installation was extremely easy. I did have to do a hard reboot of the device after install to get it to connect, but it has worked well since. I am occasionally getting a no connection message on my desktop computer after a prolonged period of inactivity, but a quick click of the retry button always corrects that problem.

That reference to old World War II movies reminds me of one more thing. To all those that have served, currently serve and will serve in our armed forces, and especially those that have sacrificed with their lives and their families. THANK YOU!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christmas is just around the corner. No time to go to the mall...then do your shopping online. We sell everything that the mall sells. Shop today!

7:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home